Diet Sodas - How They Can Affect Kids
Many of us have grown up drinking caffeinated diet sodas as an alternative to sugary regular sodas. We figure this is a better choice rather than loading our and our children's bodies with large quantities of sugar. Whilst diet sodas do help us avoid a sugar overload (which can lead to weight gain) we should also be aware of the effects of caffeine contained in many cola flavored diet sodas.
Caffeine is a diuretic causing the body to excrete water. The net result of drinking several caffeinated drinks during the day is to deplete, rather than replinish the body's fluids. Where such drinks ar the primary source of daily fluid intake, the net result may be a loss of water which may actually lead to dehydration. It is not uncommon for many of us to be unknowingly dehydrated!
Here are some common symptoms of dehdration. If you recognise any of these symptoms you may be able to improve your health by simply drinking 6 to 8 glasses of pure, fresh water a day.
1. The most common symptom is headaches. A major function of water is to flush toxins from the body. Your brain is 75% water, so even being slightly dehydrated can cause headaches.
2. Poor concentration/fatigue. If you body can't get rid of the toxins it will struggle and you will feel less energetic as your body diverts energy to deal with the toxins.
3. Constipation. Your body will divert water to more essential functions and as a result your stools will be harder and more difficult to expel.
4. Reduced urine output or dark urine. Did you know that up to 200 litres of water is passed through your kidneys daily? Without a fresh supply of water for the kidneys to filter waste products out of the blood, your urine will become darker.
5. Furry tongue or bad breath. If you don't have enough water passing through the mouth to wash away food particles, bacteria can proliferate and result in that 'furry' feeling or bad breath.
6. Skin. Your skin should feel elastic. When you pinch the skin on the back of your hand it should snap back instantly.
(c) Copyright: Kim Beardsmore
Article Source: http://www.redsofts.com/articles/
Kim Beardsmore M.B.A., B.Sc. (Biochemistry) writes for the online weight loss, health & fitness magazine Weight Loss Health. For free resources, tips and healthy recipes to help you lose weight and gain energy, visit weight-loss-health.com.au
More Articles from Parenting Category:
14 Simple Rules for Raising Successful Children
Family Fun: Five Ways to Celebrate Everyday Life with your Family
Getting Ready For Home Schooling Your Child
Single Parents...Help is On the Way!
How to get your Child to do Chores
How to be a Better Parent
Get Connected to Your Children’s School
DNA Tests & Their Uses
The Paternity Testing Process & Your Rights
The Importance of Reading to Your Child at an Early Age
Should You Know What Social Networking Is ?
Parenting Skill – Helping Children Build Strong Foundation
Easy Steps for Free Homemade Baby Shower Invitations
A Step-By-Step Plan to a Healthy Pregnancy
Teach Your Child to Live for Maximum Potential